Your boss’s brilliance with numbers will shine when they ask you to give 110 percent. Most people don’t give 110% at work. It’s roughly between 35 and 50 percent.
But, for argument’s sake, let’s say everyone at work gave 110%. If I gave 110%, and you gave 110%, doesn’t that mean the boss is getting an extra 20%? And if ten workers give 110%, then the boss is getting a free worker. Can you say labor law infraction?
Suppose only you give 110%, but earn the same as everyone else who gives 50%. Isn’t it unfair that you provide more than twice as much effort and get less in return? With this equation, the boss isn’t getting just 10% more, he’s getting 60% more! What a bargain.
Let’s get away from the hypothetical and look at this scientifically. We know 110% isn’t possible, because 10% more would mean you took part of a whole. If that’s true, then what happened to the remaining 90%? Is it just sitting around, doing nothing, like your boss? Probably.